Sunday 8 December 2013

My Love Took Me Down to the River to Silence Me

Ok it's official, I have band envy. I want to be in a band so bad...who's bringing this on? Little Green Cars that's who. I went to see them play in Vicar Street last night with my sister and was in awe. It's not the first time I've seen them either, I saw them in The Button Factory last year and then at Electric Picnic in August/September. This band spend their time travelling around the world with their best friends, doing what they love; singing and playing music, it sounds pretty perfect if you ask me. I think one of the main appeals of being in this band is that they're not too famous; they have reached a happy medium. Take, for example, One Direction who can't walk around without being mobbed by fans. Ok maybe they have millions (nearly billions apparently) but they have nowhere near a normal life, and probably never will. I also hate to say it, but there fame isn't going to last forever. Only in their most recent album have they started writing their own songs, and even those generally sound the same as their previous work. Now, don't get me wrong, I love One Direction and fair play to them for doing well, but would I want to be in a band like that? Honestly, I don't think so. Stevie Appleby came out on stage last night singing the haunting Red, an acapella song, to capture the attention of the audience. The rest of the songs flowed so well into each other,with just the right amount of interaction with the crowd.
The highlight of the night was definitely the encore. They finished up with The John Wayne and left the stage, but the lights didn't come on and most of the crowd stayed put, everyone wondering; will there be an encore? And the answer: yes...but not just any encore. They introduced us to a new song (very good) and then told an anecdote about how The Consequences of Not Sleeping came into being, before performing it. This already intimate gig, just entered into a whole new level of intimacy. The band were actually on the same level as the audience, and we were so engaged with them. Would you ever be able to reach that level of intimacy with a big-shot band? This groundedness is something which all bands should aspire to, it's how you not only capture, but hold onto, the audience's attention.  
A certain amount of talent is also required...that's the part I'm working on so I can form my own band!!


The haunting, Stevie Appleby.













What I Wore
I wore this floral, quite autumnal shirt that I got in a Barnardos shop in Rathmines for €5. My collar pins are my pride and joy, I love love love them. These ones are from Forever 21. I teamed the look with black jeggings from Tesco, and camel boots from Clarks. My beautiful sister did my make-up, we went for a simple brown smoky look.





Collar Pins!


Hope you enjoyed reading,
Talk soon,
Ellen xx

2 comments:

  1. You've been tagged in Killer Fashion's #4MondaysOfChristmas! xx http://killerfashionirl.wordpress.com/2013/12/23/four-mondays-of-christmas-4/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nirina! Really need to get on top of the blogging again haha, hope you're well have a fab Christmas! X

    ReplyDelete